MEDIA RELEASE: Greens announce Ward 3 By-election Candidate
Monday 3rd September 2018
Jamie Dixon, candidate for Wollongong Ward 3, flanked by Greens Councillors Mithra Cox (Ward 1) and Cath Blakey (Ward 2).
The Greens have preselected local shearer, Jamie Dixon, as their candidate to contest the Wollongong Council Ward 3 Council by-election.
Mr Dixon was recently the Greens candidate for Ward 3 in the general Council election last year, and earned a record Green vote for the area.
Jamie shears alpacas for a living and lives in Koonawarra.
“I am throwing my hat in the ring because I want to do everything I can to fix the growing social inequities in our society.
“Council could be doing much more to address housing affordability, to reduce the harm caused by pokies, to protect our environment and to prepare for climate change.
“Labor has taken our area for granted for far too long, and the Liberals aren’t even bothering to field a candidate. We are having this byelection because one of the Labor councillors moved to Tamworth just a few months after being elected.
“The Greens are a real alternative for anyone fed up with being ignored and forgotten. We work hard and make a genuine difference.”
The achievements of Greens Councillors over the past 12 months include:
• Double the spend on footpaths this financial year;
• Funding for a new Urban Greening Strategy, to get more shade trees in our hottest suburbs;
• Unanimous support for our motion to support a Community Sponsorship Program for refugees;
• Overturning of a ban on novelty races and fun events at school swimming carnivals;
• Flying the rainbow flag over the Council chambers during the marriage equality debate.
Mithra Cox 0425351844
Jamie Dixon 0403 402 114